Saturday, April 30, 2011

Saturday Morning at the Farmers Market

     My girlfriend Tara is in town this weekend and this morning we got up early, grabbed our canvas bags and headed to downtown Augusta for the Farmers Market that happens every Saturday on the edge of the Savannah River. Despite the storms that have been tormenting our side of the country this morning was beautiful, warm but breezy, and the market was bustling!




       There were a myriad of booths and shopping options at the market some of which were: 4 produce stands, 3 nursery (plant) booths, two bakeries, a lot of caterers, artists, etc. The most exciting table I found was a woman who sells cloth diapers! She is an independent retailer for Grow Via, Bum Genius, Rumparooz, Happy Heinys, Bamboo Booty, Fuzzibunz, and way more. She honors all online specials, and was local! She gave me tons of advice and showed me a few demonstrations!!
       I know it's tacky to talk about money, but I have got to tell you about the goods I scored! I got 5 huge tomatoes, a TON of string beans and red potatoes, the biggest ears of sweet white corn you have ever seen and gorgeous asparagus and I only spent $14!! The coolest thing is that they were all grown by local farmers, so I was supporting the community with my purchase! I will be there every Saturday I can from now on, that's for sure.
       There was some live "music" happening, too. Normally I like anything to shop by but this was a boy singing karaoke Corrine Bailey Rae and he was terrible, hopefully he isn't a regular. At the end of the market strip is the Savannah River and the scenic Riverfront Park.



This was such a great way to start my Saturday, I just hope y'all have had a beautiful day wherever you are, too! Love, Layne

4 comments:

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

That's such a cute little area for a farmers market! Our local one is in a giant DMV parking lot--not so cute. :)

I love farmers markets--people complain about how expensive it is to buy fresh produce, but it's NOT when you buy direct from the farmers. And like you said, it's nice to support local farmers too.

Chase said...

I love the farmer's market! Gorgeous pictures!
Following you from the alexa blog hop!
Chase’s View

Karissa@Withourbest said...

Fun pics! I can't wait for ours to open!! My favorite place to browse in the summer!!

Thanks for visiting my site!! I am your newest follower!! Looking forward to reading your blog! - Karissa

Krafty Max Originals said...

Hop'pin by from 'Tuesday Tag, you're it! Blog and Face Book Hop'. I'm following your blog now, wont you please come and follow me back?? ~KM

Krafty Max Originals