Sunday, April 17, 2011

My Completely Random Life...

The coolest thing happened today...Noah kicked for Chad! Today was the first day I felt true defined kicks. I'd been feeling movement for a while now...but no specific moves. Just wallowing. So these kicks are really, super cool! 
the bump- don't say I never did anything for you...


The kicks are happening after meals, from what I can tell. Speaking of meals...tonight's was a doozy! I cooked up some pancakes, sausage, eggs, and hash-browns scattered with onions!! So delicious. That was my tasty meal for the day, I've been eating healthy meals twice daily and one normal meal, not necessarily unhealthy, just not going out of my way to make it low-cal. Healthy can be delish, though. Last night I made an awesome salad....baby spinach leaves, Roma tomatoes, chopped broccoli (she choppa, she choppa), bell peppers, and lite ranch! Check it out!
I'm addicted to baby spinach!

Today, while I ate my faux-chicken patti sandwich and raw baby carrots for lunch (following doctors orders!) Chad chowed down on homemade pulled pork barbecue, made by yours truly. I make seriously phenomenal BBQ. It is so easy, and I make it in large quantities so it feeds the hubby for at least a week! I use the slow cooker, so it does most of the work for me, but the seasoning and preparation, that's all me!

Layne's Stellar Pulled Pork
about 4lbs of boneless country style ribs (Wal-Mart has awesome deals)
*as a side note, bone in ribs will work too, you just have to pick and pull the bones out of the meat when it starts falling off the bone into the pot*
the ribs go into the slow cooker and are covered with coca-cola. It normally takes a liter, or 2 20 oz bottles. I don't do math in my head, so don't judge me if that is the same amount. Basically, just enough coke to cover the meat.
In the pot with the coke and ribs add:
tsp black pepper (ground)
1/2- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (ground)-----I use a lot!
1/4 tsp salt
tbsp dried mince onion
3/4 cup brown sugar
cook on low 10hrs....I like to cook mine 12-14hrs depending...it makes it easier to put in at night and fix when you wake up in the morning and the meat just falls apart...so yummy!
Once the meat is cooked I use tongs to get it out of the slow cooker and put it all in an extra large skillet.
I use a fork and butter knife to shred the pork in the skillet, it takes MAYBE 4 minutes...the meat is so tender and juicy.
I put the stove on med-high and put 1/4 cup of Great Value BBQ sauce on it (not enough to really flavor it, just keep it moist) and then douse it with Texas Pete.
The hot sauce and bbq sauce doesn't alter the flavor already in the meat, just enhances it!
I mix it all up and get the meat good and moist over the med-high heat for about 4-5 minutes and...Voila!

the final product

Also per the doctors orders I have been a walking machine! Morris always comes with, but today and yesterday Chad joined us, too! Saturday, after the rain and storms passed it turned out to be a gorgeous day. We ended up taking a 2 hour walk on the Greeneway all the way down to the Savannah River front. We let Mo get in the water at a boat ramp, he is so peculiar. He loves the water but only if he can touch the bottom, he is terrified when he swims!
the loves of my life

Today has been spent at church, cooking (see above) and cleaning, since we have guests coming. In between we managed to squeeze in watching Carolina beat Vandy in baseball, a short nap, and a nice walk. We had to return a dvd to the Redbox and the Food Lion we got it from is only a mile or so away, so we had another adventure walk to make sure we didn't get the dollar late charge! That also made me feel a little less guilty about the breakfast for dinner! Tomorrow Chad's sister Jen and her hubby Justin are coming for a visit on their Spring Break, most importantly they're bringing our niece Macy, also known as this little booger...




We are so excited to see her! I hope y'alls weekend was as nice as ours was- back to cleaning! Love, Layne

No comments: